Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Heavenly Binge watch report

After Chuck, I don't have anything that I need to watch connecting me to the past. So I tried something different - Heavenly Sword and Dragon Slaying Saber.

It turns out that the Asians have been binge-watching since the dawn of their TV. There is 1 season but technically no season. There are 50 episodes, 5 in a week plus 2 on Sat.

If you don't mind reading subtitles, it's highly recommended. Funny that it was the Asians who rely a lot on Hollywood subtitles. I watched half a Korean series once; it's not that bad.

There a lot of lookalikes but this one is based on a very popular modern classic epic, written by a hon. Dr. It was remade once every 10 years or so. The novel is totally unsuitable for movies as you cannot possibly condense an epic into an hr or two. It's not really a TV serious in the American sense but a long epic movie. The plot is perfectly solid; there has been a 2nd edition of the novel to correct and improve.

It consists of cross-generation epic love and martial arts stories. It takes 3 actors for the main character from birth to adulthood. The hero survives against all the odds, becomes number one in martial arts, found a few platonic lovers since childhood, became the head of a cult which is a good cult, won the hearts and minds of the martial arts world, defeated the corrupt King, found true love and retired together from the martial arts world to enjoy some ordinary life.

Basically, there is non-stop fighting every other minute. The fight scenes are competently done. It's hard to be groundbreaking but all the different styles are detailing written in the book so you don't get bored. And every time they fight for a reason.

For an ancient martial arts story, you need a lot of outdoor locations. I don't know if they spend a lot on it but the scenery is very nice - mountain and water, waterfalls and lakes. They don't build many props because they have a lot of the real thing. The novel is based on some real history and some real locations - temples, historical chateaus, palaces.

For 50 episodes with multiple love stories, there are a lot of dialogs and closeups. It's fortunate that the guy is acceptable, the women are nice and the wardrobes help a lot.

After I finished, I can't help but reflect on my own life. I can't say I come from poverty. My parents are great! My mom will do anything for us. Dad got us all the basics we need when we were kids. But that's it. I pity those kids who are struggling for food everyday, school, a place to live.

For some reason, I inherited a great mind. But I could have done a lot worse or a lot better. I attended a public school without a name for a year. Some years later I spotted a schoolmate selling things in the farmers' market. She hid from me and I never know her well. I have highschool schoolmates who are doctors, even head of a hospital, lawyers, architects, aid to local top politicians.

Against all odds, I got a nice house with white picket fences, nice cars, nice job, nice salary, pretty wife and nice kids. And a golden retriever. I never really appreciate all these things because I was still feeling like a loser compared to many of my old schoolmates. I really appreciate everything when I have to struggle to keep everything.

I still remember the moment when I first started changing diapers. I thought I will have my life back after 18 years. And then I thought what would become of me then? It should have been my best 18 years. I should have treasured it.

18 years came and went. I'm fortunate that my life never went away. I kept appreciating beautiful women, sometimes binging on them. I still do now on occasion. It's weird but it's a rite of passage to hit girls younger than your daughter. I never felt that way. I mostly hang out with the younger crowd because of their organic beauty and body perfect enough for human lollipops. So I was doing exactly the same thing as my kids grow up and me growing older.

I could have been more well known and leave more legacy to the world. But it's hard to turn down 10% down payment for a 3 bed house.

Looking forward, I don't have 18 more years for something great. It's just a struggle to keep everything for my kids, and hopefully not to be their burden later. It's always not too late to find great love but I have to get rid of the obstacle, unthinkable. But I can still appreciate beautiful women from time to time as I always do. Hopefully, I can still manage that as the years go by.

No comments: