Monday, April 29, 2019

Only yesterday

Thanks to one of my fans, must be the most patient fan, who reminded me that I often get the dates wrong, by years. I admit that's probably true for somethings. But to me a lot of things seem to have happened only yesterday. Because I still got it?

I meet a woman in a hotel lounge last month. When she was standing under the spotlight, The Lady in Red was written for her. She was standing tall, so intimidating that I didn't even try to take a good at her. She has short blonde hair, stylish. Her pale skin sharply contrasts with her very red dress. I didn't look at her feet but later found out that she was on heels. She left the others and came in for a break perhaps.

Actually, we started a conversation in a private dark corner! What's the chance? It was dark and too close so I couldn't see much. But she is the definition of slim and she fits her long, simple, elegant, body-hugging dress. If she fits the difficult dress like that she could be in her early twenties, thirties maybe. If she is in her 40's and above, she has to be one in a million. And I couldn't say she has a beautiful face. But if her face disappoints she probably won't dress to the nine's like that.

More surprisingly is her story. In no time she said she hate events. So even the dumbest geek in the world know how to take the bait. I asked her what was the event. She is in medical research and that day was fundraising. And obviously, because she is so good looking, they dig her out of the lab to socialize with the rich patrons. I was so in love with her right out of the bat, if only she wasn't so intimidating.

Perhaps she understands geek and she knows that she is just so intimidating, she just poured out her story. She speaks elegantly but managed to tell me a lot without any help from me. She is born and bred locally. Whenever she comes back from aboard, she hates the place and maybe don't like the country either. Wow, each and every one of her rants are so up my alley. We could have such great conversations. We could have been soulmates.

But I think what she sees in me is something I am not anymore. So I just listen without trying to score anything. I don't see what's her point talking to a middle-aged man with wife and kids. I know I look, and in fact, so intellectual but I am always the underachiever.

And she even kicked off her heels in the dark and walked a few steps on occasions like Cinderella. So lovely. I can't stop thinking that she was trying to impress me and not intimate me but encourage me. But I have no clue what she was thinking. She was totally sober. Maybe she was a bit older wanting to score a college student? LOL. Maybe she likes someone mature but not looking like a walking penguin? Maybe she brought into my stereotype - well educated and successful but good looking? Wait till I emerge from the darkness. And I'm the type who may buy a red dress and ask Caroline to wear it. Then fuck the hell out of her. She left everything open when she told me she is waiting table again.

The week before last. I overheard a few teens on my back. One girl was interested in a guy. The other mean girl shot her down, saying that his haircut looks like he's 30's but he is 50's. I was like really going to ask her where he cut his hair, Tony & Guy and the sort? But it dawned on me that she was talking about me and my Flowbee. It was so mean. But I take it as a compliment for the 30's bit and the compliment for my hair.

Not a month before I overhead a few Asian girls and a guy at my back. Obviously, one Asian girl is the leader of the pack; the others won't say no to her. She starts saying how beautiful her cousins are. Basically, she is boasting how beautiful she is. Once when she was in BCH, a popular Korean restaurant for Asians young and old, a girl came up just to say how beautiful she is.

But why? Your friends all know that. Your new friends? They all sat there like dummies. You can say you are the queen of America and they won't say anything else. I know where it is going. Maybe she starting all that because I never looked at her given many chances. And I'm not going to. What's the point. I don't think she has a father complex. I don't think she's the type looking for love over money.

She went on to say her cousins are cheerleaders. Good for them. It doesn't work. I was sitting tight, not moving my head a bit. Then she tried something else, her friends and relatives all go to universities like so and so, all the famous and not so famous CA universities. Well, I was thinking WTF. Is she 16/17 looking for a few mature brave men?

A woman tried to get me into karaoke. She was excited when I could do a line or two, "can't buy me love .... love..." Almost had to drive her home. Another one asked me if I remember when I was a baby being cuddled.

It was not two months ago when the girl next to me started talking; the place was crowded. I think she was in the speakeasy stage. She is a nice good girl with average looks but not sexy, wondering why she has no dates. She actually started to woo me in the dark in front of her friends. She even got hold of my Spotify playlist and was impressed by my music choices; I prepared the list to play at Julia's house.

Finally, there was no misunderstanding when she asked, "We are here for the 26th birthday of a friend, how old are you?" How can I answer that without consequence? I paused and tried something to duck it. Then a boy at the background shouted, "41". I was so pleased because a boy in his 20's think that I'm 41, and that's for an insult. But I was too soon and wrong to admit that. It was hard for the girl. That's why it is a difficult question. If I say 31 probably she would me her number and wonder why I didn't call.

Before that, I met an American girl who just finished college in Japan and moved back. All of a sudden she asked me if I have kids. I asnwered before I realized what she was up to. So much better than asking how old. If I have kids I have to have a wife or girlfriend. If I have ex, more time had passed.

No comments: